The Mossberg 535 ATS would be my recommendation for anybody just starting out.
- shoots everything from cheapest 2 3/4 to the heaviest 3.5 shells you can find
- comes in variety of finishes from syn black to Adv Max 4
- top tang safety is very easy to work into your shooting process, no searching for the behind trigger guard safety, gun goes up, thumb goes forward, BOOM!!
- relatively low priced when compared with Beretta Super Nova
- I would suggest moving up to the 835 with the ported overbored barrel if primary use is for waterfowling
You can hunt with any shotgun, but to be able to effienently hunt all game you NEED a pump action in 12 gauge 3in chamber with a removable choke system(or at least fixed modified choke).
Thats IT!! you can all argue one is better than the other but if a person is looking to buy and knows nothing about guns then it basicallly come down to how much the buyer is willing to spend.
one things to remember is that different manufacters have different choke ratings, ie a full choke in a newer browing is basically the same as the old browning modifed. they have basically upgraded to steel shot being the standard for rating chokes. not all manufacters have done this.
Research you choke before you buy, especially in a fix choke gun.
Basically if it goes bang your in business, the rest is personal wanted and needs.