So what does everyone think of this 82lb "Coyote"

Views: 2192

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What have you heard?

They've ran the mitochondrial DNA which is the genetics from the mother. From what Im told they have those results but don't have the results as to what the father is.

I also want to know if they said what the mother was, any word? 

I don't know, sadly. They won't release any info until all the results are back, then there will be a press release.  I'm very anxious also.

Regardless of the results...I believe that if it is indeed a pure wolf, Which I personally believe is the case.... Wildlife may cover it up and say its a hybrid..With all the stress on enviro & conservation lately about the moose and coyotes, and the "horrible fear" some people are having toward our coyotes (like they're some kind of monstrous demons), to come out and say that we may also have WOLVES on the island....Well, I think people will freak. (when I say people, I kinda refer to the non-hunting portion of the population) that don't really know any better.

I talked to the wildlife a couple of days ago and they had no word then.they also said they would know yesterday and would call me as soon as they know.Can't wait to hear the results.maybe monday but I'm not holding my breath.

I'll bite my younger as I also have friends who work with wildlife. We will have to wait and see.

But this is the province of Newfoundland Labrador.....we know Labrador has wolves...we also have wildlife officers who work in Labrador..Honestly, I think that when wildlife officials first saw this animal, they shouldn't have needed to do tests..They should have had an idea of what this animal is...

I have a comparison that supports this as indeed a Wolf. Look at the biggest pad on the paw in the first photo versus the Wolf paw in the second photo. Notice that the paw is virtually identical, even the big pad has the exact same curvature.

Compare the paw in the first photo to the Coyote paw in the second one, the Coyote paw has two curvatures on the biggest pad versus one whole curvature on the Wolf's biggest pad.

This is a striking resemblance between the two paws that concludes this is not a pure Coyote, but a hybrid or even a pure Wolf.   

Any news yet guys?

It definitely looks wolf or maybe an Alaskan Malamute or Husky cross with a coyote or wolf.  I have read that both male gray wolves and dogs will mate with coyotes.   The hunter did say he saw it with a smaller coyote days before he called it in.  The paw could fit either the dog or wolf track shown.  Since NFLD coyotes are a wolf/coyote hybrid it is possible they have wolf paws.  Anyone have one for comparison?

This is really dragging on now, still no news guys?

RSS

BLUE RIDGE HAS THEIR NEW ONLINE STORE SET UP, NEW PRODUCTS ADDED EVERYDAY, CLICK ON THE PICTURE BELOW AND CHECK IT OUT
Blue Ridge
524 Main Street Lewisporte, NL, Phone:709.535.6675,709.535.6555, Fax:709.535.6042

COMPLETE GUN REPAIR INDOOR SHOOTING RANGE 71 O'LEARY AVENUE ST. JOHN'S, NL TEL:709-747-0865 FAX:709-738-6313 completegunrepairs@gmail.com
Coastal Boats Available At
Atlantic Recreaction
17 Corey King Drive
Mount Pearl, NL
A0A 2A0
Phone:709.739.6662

http://www.atlanticrecreation.com

Blue Water Marine & Equipment Ltd.

16 Allston Street

Kenmount Road Business Park
Mount Pearl, NL A1N 0A4
Tel: (709) 782-3200