Hello members. I am looking for coyote sightings and with the help of Ed and others I will try to put together a map of where the coyotes might be based on these sightings.  We need time, and location of sighting.  With this info we should be able to put together a comprehensive map that may help coyote hunters.  I know from experience that locating coyotes on the avalon is difficult.  I would love to be able to click on a link that will tell me where coyotes have been seen recently. This would help me as I would know where there is a good chance to get one. We all know that coyotes never stay in one place for long, but with help from everyone, and the wildlife division, I think this would be an excellent hunting aid and we may even see a pattern in their sightings.

Here would be an example

location: on TCH heading west (near Witless Bay Line turnoff)

time and date:  10:30 pm Oct. 12/10 

Thanks in advance for all info and your cooperation.

Tony Cooney

Views: 640

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

this not a good thing for all to have a coyote show no fear not good
That's the one I've been seeing at the Operating Engineers College I'd say. He's huge!!! I've seen him a few more times by the school in the past few weeks.He's probably attracted to the garbage bins?
good to know this a good place to set up to get him would be the marsh next to the school
I'd say it's almost certainly the same one. She said it was as big as a rotweiler, and she saw it right there by the college. She was shaking when she got to the house, it scared her so bad when it stared her down.
There is a trail going by the left side of the school I heard someone say the other day. I'm not sure if that would give you access to the bog in behind the school where I've seen the bugger. I'm sure there is more than one. I guess you'd have to set a dirt trap or something for him, since it wouldn't be safe to shoot around the houses, and us! :) Then again, we are shut down from Dec 17 until Jan 3. I looked on google maps, I can't see the trail, but I see cars parked there all of the time and have been told they are hunters.
I've attached a pic showing the college area on Salmonier Line. I think the bog you're referring to is the one just before Goose Pond, correct? And I think the trail you are referring to is marked by the arrows (it's really hard to make out).
I think it's far enough from the road for rifle hunting, but I'm not sure it's far enough from the school.
Attachments:
Not quite what I was thinking, but just as effective.

I see the cars in our side parking lot and I've seen a moose walking along the perimeter of our yard to the left(facing the school). Then at the back of our yard there is a cliff ledge, and a bog with a well worn trail going out to the marshy area.. I was thinking that if you were to get up in the back of the yard in the tree line and have something set up in the bog I have circled to attract it, you could get him like that. But I think your way is better, if someone wanted to put a decoy or some sort up by goose pond and do it that way, it would be safer. They could stay in the tree line dressed in camo and wait for him to come around. Who's free saturday?? lol....j/k I dont have any camo gear! Seriously though, I'm not sure if anyone at school thinks this is a threat, the haven't seen it. But if he is as fearless as it seems, he may be a problem.
Attachments:
Wow, I was WAY off. :-)

But since his range almost certainly includes the Goose Pond area (coyotes tend to cover some serious real estate), you're correct in that trying to tag him there would be a bit safer for folks at the college. I'd recommend trying to call him into shotgun range, though, as a .223 or .22-250 round will travel a mile or more.
Well is he rabbit? if he is you will need him in close range to make a
sure kill. Maybe we will get together sometime a get him, i have lot's of camo gear that you can put on.lol
I've got a terrible shot, I wouldn't dare try a .22 other than at a target, lol. But if anyone is going to actually pursue this matter, I definitely want to see him after and get some pictures to show my instructor. I think he is a little skeptical about the coyote, he thinks its the neighbours Labrador retriever! Just a F.Y.I there won't be anyone out in the yard at the school from Dec 18 until Jan 2 inclusive, that would be a safe time to go up. If he is a big as everyone is saying, he is worth all of this trouble lol. I'd want him stuffed!

I believe that your supposed to be at least a kilometer from a school( 300 m from a dwelling) before you can legally discharge a firearm.

A good place to get him would be the dump, that is where they hang out i have seen them there more than once.

RSS

BLUE RIDGE HAS THEIR NEW ONLINE STORE SET UP, NEW PRODUCTS ADDED EVERYDAY, CLICK ON THE PICTURE BELOW AND CHECK IT OUT
Blue Ridge
524 Main Street Lewisporte, NL, Phone:709.535.6675,709.535.6555, Fax:709.535.6042

COMPLETE GUN REPAIR INDOOR SHOOTING RANGE 71 O'LEARY AVENUE ST. JOHN'S, NL TEL:709-747-0865 FAX:709-738-6313 completegunrepairs@gmail.com
Coastal Boats Available At
Atlantic Recreaction
17 Corey King Drive
Mount Pearl, NL
A0A 2A0
Phone:709.739.6662

http://www.atlanticrecreation.com

Blue Water Marine & Equipment Ltd.

16 Allston Street

Kenmount Road Business Park
Mount Pearl, NL A1N 0A4
Tel: (709) 782-3200